|Food Technology at Ridgewood|
As part of working with food, pupils will be taught how to cook & apply the principals of nutrition & healthy eating.
Pupils will be encouraged to be creative whilst learning crucial key life skills that will enable them to feed themselves & others affordably & well, now & in later life.
Pupils will be taught to:
- Understand & apply the principals of nutrition & health
- Become competent in a range of cooking skills & techniques -selecting & preparing ingredients; using utensils & electrical equipment; applying heat in different ways, using an awareness of taste, texture & smell to season dishes & combine ingredients.
- Cook a repertoire of predominantly savoury dishes that are healthy and high in nutritional value.
- Understand & explore a range of ingredients & processes from different culinary traditions (traditional British & International) to inspire new ideas or modify existing recipes.
- Pupils will demonstrate effective & safe cooking skills & understand the principles of safe food handling & hand washing procedures.
- Investigate seasonality of ingredients & the use of ingredients from around the globe- Global food project